Palma de Mallorca – a surprising city trip
This is one of those surprising destinations for a city trip! During my search for a city trip, which had to include a bit of culture and sea, I bumped into Palma. The capital of Mallorca. Not unknown as a holiday destination, but not a standard city trip. Which means there aren’t so many direct flights outside the Summer season. But it was a great discovery! Palma is like a mini-Barcelona. With lots of little streets, cute squares, a beautiful cathedral and…the sea (read ‘beach’). I stayed, with a girlfriend, in a charming Boutique hotel, in the centre of Palma.
Beautiful places to visit in the old town
- cute little streets and squares within the old city walls
- the cathedral
- Plaza Major (including a market, shops and cafés)
- Can Casasayas: a beautiful Art Nouveau-style building
- Can Corbella: one of the traditional buildings in Palma
Palma’s beaches and port
Palma’s beach is at walking distance from the town centre. With lots of nice, hip beach bars.
- We’d already seen some pictures of the Puro Beach Club. Fantastic! We had to test this one for ourselves. You need to take a taxi as the club is a short distance out of town. And it is necessary to book in advance. You pay for your sun bed (the closer to the pool, the more expensive your sun bed will be!). The club has a cool in-and exterior, mainly white. And great food. The moto here is ‘seen and be seen’. Which means you want to hold in your tummy all day 😉 A cool experience. To be part of the Rich&Famous, for a day.
- But, ultimately, we preferred the beach at Nassau Beach. This also has an amazing restaurant, but is just a little more relaxed. Also a short distance in a taxi.
- At Palma’s port you’ll find plenty of restaurants too. These are a little more upmarket. But yummy cocktails and a great view.
Food & drink
I often can’t remember which restaurants we’ve been too as I like to just wander around and find new places. You can do the same, or visit one of these I loved:
- Quina Creu – a laid-back hipster restaurant, with great drinks and tasty tapas
- Plaça de la Quartera: one of those squares that buzzes at dinner time
- Eating an ice cream at Amorino. Their ice creams are like pieces of art! (they also have organic and vegan ice creams)
- El Neo Gastrobar: small but they serve delicious tapas!
So, if you are looking for sun, sea and culture and you love beautiful Spanish cities, do not miss this one! And Mallorca is great as a holiday destination too, with lots of pretty (and also quiet) spots to be discovered. More about that later!