Babymoon: your last vacation without the baby
One last carefree vacation with just the destination and each other to enjoy: “babymoon“, with you and your loved one (and the new addition to your family inside your tummy).
The so-called babymoon has become enormously popular over the years, and we get why: it’s your last opportunity to enjoy a carefree vacation together, without the new responsibilities for your little one. A last bit of quality time for you and your partner before you end up in a new and exciting life together – which will also, of course, include worrying about your newborn, a whole package of new responsibilities, and less time for each other. What better reason to head off into the sunset together, just the two of you before the whole circus starts?
Tips for the perfect babymoon
Wait no longer and organise your own babymoon! Here are some tips to make sure you’re last baby-free vacation will be a perfect one.
- Plan your trip in the second trimester of your pregnancy. The first three months can contain a lot of new and unexpected little body issues and pains, and the last three will – obviously – not be the most comfortable.
- Choose a destination that’s not too far away but still wonderful, such as the Spanish coast, Italy or France. You don’t want to have to travel for ages with your increasingly heavy belly.
- Collect all those phone numbers that will help you travel more comfortably: your obstetrician’s, your general practitioner’s, your insurance company’s. Of course you’re most likely going to be just fine, but it’ll take a load off your mind to know for sure how to reach them.
- Some airlines ask for a specific statement of pregnancy by your obstetrician or doctor; make sure to have it with you just in case.
- Choose a relaxing vacation over an intense travel experience; as much as you may enjoy living off the grid, now might be a better time to chill and take a breath before you’ll be consumed by (breast)feeding your baby, changing diapers, putting your child to sleep and being woken up every single night. Allow yourself to relax, you deserve it! And make sure your accommodation’s sleeping arrangements are as comfy as possible.
- Don’t forget your camera. The babymoon is the perfect occasion for a couple of #instaworthy belly shots on the beach!
- Take time for each other, walk along the beach together, treat yourself to endless dinners, and get lost in each other’s eyes again. Or visit a spa and wellness place for a brilliant (pregnancy) massage.
- Don’t forget to protect yourself and the baby against the sun! Sunscreen is crucial as the skin on and around your belly has become extra sensitive and you are prone to getting melasma (i.e. “mask of pregnancy”). At least factor 50 is recommended in this stage of your sunbathing.
- Enjoy! Have a great time together, with each other, with your soon-to-be-born little one, at the beautiful destination of your choice.